Thursday, December 4, 2008

Traditions??

As Aria grows up I begin to feel an urgency to create some traditions for our little family. I have always loved Christmas and I want my children to have so many memories beyond the presents and Santa. I want them to love Christmas for the traditions surrounding the birth of Christ, giving, and family. For some reason the only way I know how to do that is through food. Is there any other way? What are some of your family traditions? Please I need a little help.


Yesterday I thought it might be fun to make Gingerbread men and I was right! Aria thought this was the best day ever! She helped me make the dough,

She cut out all the men,
and she was the creative director of what the men should look like.
not to mention the taste tester.
So now I have one tradition.
HOORAY!

17 comments:

Linds said...

Those are some fancy gingerbread men! I must say she is a natural. My friend Krista has a great Idea using an advent calendar. She puts a slip of paper in each day and puts different things to do on there, ie make cookies and take to neighbors, take trax to temple square, read a christmas story and have hot choco, draw a picture, put out the nativity. Okay so you didn't need that many ideas, but I love it and think i will wait and do it next year when Brooke is a bit older.

Ann Marie said...

Mmmm! Ginger bread is my FAVORITE! I think food is rightly at the center of most holiday traditions.

CJ and I have made a lot of our own traditions...we read "A Christmas Carol", "Letters From Father Christmas", and "A Child's Christmas in Wales together"

We too have an advent calendar filled with goodies, love notes, & activities to do. That's a good one.

I like doing the 12 days of Christmas for people...it's fun to have a secret! We give them treats, books, and home-made gifts.

I think you'd be great at putting together some crafts to give away.

Sorry this is so long, but just be glad I stopped there. I could have gone on all day!

Anonymous said...

I need that recipe. . . Please!! I'll think of traditions!

Renee said...

Cook traditions are not traditions of mine - I tried to ELF book and you saw how that went down. We do buy each of our kids a new Christmas book every year and have quite the collection already. Through the month of December they pick out a book and we read it before bed. The always look forward to unpacking the books with the rest of the Christmas decos. Just a thought! :)

Angela and Mike said...

Wow, those cookies look awesome. I like the creative input from Aria on the cookie decorating. Did you actually let her decorate any? haha. I guess frosting is slightly messy with kids :)

As kids we all got a mini 1-2 ft fake tree that we got to put in our rooms and we could decorate it. I loved decorating my own room! We also would drive around and look at Christmas lights and give awards to different houses. Mostly, I just love the food traditions :)

Nedra said...

Those ginger bread men look professional! Sign that little girl up with a contract!
Our Holiday traditions go mostly with food. We make Candy Cane shaped cookies.
We loved going to see the lights at a nearby Temple, and then out for hot chocolate.
Every year I used buy a new Children's Christmas book and place it in a basket. Then we read a book from the basket the nights leading up to Christmas.

Chelsea said...

That looks like a delicious tradition. Can I join in too? Warning: (before you decide) there is no way I could decorate gingerbread men that cute.

Anonymous said...

Bryce and I put up a tree every year and decorate it. It's fun.

Uffens Family said...

It was you!! They were delicious and so, clearly, I am a fan of this tradition :)
Hope Thanksgiving was great and time with your sister! I will try to think of a good tradition...sadly ours are mostly commercial :(

Terri said...

those cookies are darling!

The Morrisons... said...

Way to go, those look awesome! Aria is such a cute little helper!

Are you ready for the party tomorrow? Im not, their not even giving away gifts this year...thats the only reason I go. Just kidding. See ya tomorrow and you better have your dancin' shoes on. ;)

Niki Carter said...

We watch the Luke 2 video that was put out by the church on Christmas eve. We have always had a spiritual devotional on Christmas eve. (You can modify it as they grow). We talk about the true meaning of Christmas and what we are grateful for. Watching the video has become one of my favorites because it really brings the scriptures to life for everyone. Then, we read the night before Christmas and open Christmas PJ's.

Sarah Goodsell said...

How fun! They look great! P.S. I like Aria's shirt!

The Morrisons... said...

Hey can you send me your address. Thanks

Natalie said...

I love that tradition and I would love your recipe if you would be so kind to give it to me! I feel the same urgency. I love traditions. One that we are starting this year is the count down calendar I made. We had a Family Night lesson on Christmas Symbols and then I made a countdown calendar all dealing with the Christmas symbols. Everyday we go over the symbol and what it means and we either, play a Christmas game, read a Christmas book, have hot cocoa and watch a Christmas show, do an act of service, give someone a hug, or make a treat-depending on the symbol of the day. Sorry to go on and on, but it was amazing to me all the symbols of Christmas. They truly all are to remind us of Christ and what he did for each of us. To me that is the best tradition I can pass down to my kids, the tradition of remembering Christ.

Anonymous said...

I want to eat my darling grandchild, she is so scrumtiously adorable!

Williams Fam said...

Alrighty, may I just say Aleena, that I am in love with the picture of your girls at the top, I'm in love with your blog layout, and well, your cute little tradition is awesome!! Well, I guess you've just become my cute'n'crafty role model!!