Saturday, October 24, 2009

Mother Moment

The other day was picture day at Aria's preschool.  The night before the big picture day I thought it would be so cute to put her hair in sponge curlers for her first school picture.  Aria didn't think it was a good idea and she really didn't want to sleep in the curlers, but with my amazing powers of persuasion (threats and bribes) she did it. 

The next morning as I unrolled the curlers I started to get a little concerned as she had 12 really tight curls right up against her scalp.  Before I let Aria see I quickly thought that if I brushed them out all will be well. 

This is what her hair looked like when I combed my fingers through her hair. 
As I was combing and she was looking at herself in the mirror I saw her hair getting fluffier and more poodle like I had a horrifying moment.  I started laughing.  I know, I know, rookie mistake but it was seriously so funny.  Her face, her hair the fact that I was doing to her what my mom did to me. 

She started crying as I was laughing and I really tried to fix it.  I really think I could have made it look cute, it would have relaxed and she would have loved it, right?  Nope, she was devistated! She started throwing  a huge tantrum, huge tears, rolling on the ground, the works.  I realized my mistakes and threw her in the shower and all was well.

I learned some really good lessons that day:

1) Just because my mom did it to me doesn't mean I should do it to my children.
2) Don't try something that we have never done before the day before a picture.
3) I had a really frightening look into what my future will be like with three girls.  If it was this bad at 4 can you imagine what it will be like at 14?
Please pray for me!

12 comments:

Uffens Family said...

I AM LAUGHING SO SO HARD!! Look at that face...and THE HAIR!! Thank you for stopping me from ever making the same mistake :)
You and those little twinners are in our prayers! We are here for anything from letting the girls hang out to going to grocery store for ya.

Joy For Your Journey said...

so what is wrong with the hair??I liked it. It looked just like what I had my daughters wear. :-) And Aleena, don't worry a bit. Teenage girls are easy. They won't be a problem at all!

Nedra said...

I, for one, don't think her hair looks that bad. but remember, I'm from YOUR MOM'S generation!! And girls and hair always= drama.

The Morrisons... said...

Ba ha ha ha ha! I am dying right now. I can just picture you guys doing that. Poor Curly Sue...she hated it. At least you know not to try that on your other girls.

Renee said...

That is hilarious. I love the look on her face. Classic! I agree with all your pointers. At least my girls are a few years apart so I can take a breather before round two!

Ruthie said...

Now Aleena, you know you loved it when I curled your hair like that! Just like you did , Aria looks ADORABLE with that doo!!
Smooches,
Mom

Ann Marie said...

oh, those tears! she's so cute...i happen to love those tight curls!!!

Angela and Mike said...

haha, funny story and great pictures! At least you'll have a boy in the mix too!

Jenna said...

That is hilarious! And even though she didn't think it was that fun, I still think she looks as adorable as ever!

Natalie said...

I think it's so funny how little girls care so much about their hair. Sometimes I forget how opinionated my addie can be. At least when they are 14 they can do their own hair, then all the blame for a bad hair day is on them. ha ha!

Anonymous said...

She looks like my little Aleena from 23 years ago!

Melynn said...

ha ha ha ha ha! Nice one mom. That does remind me of having my mom do my hair. so funny.