Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Iron Will

This post is for the soul purpose of looking back a long time in the future and maybe laughing about this situation.

Since Aria decided to sleep in a "big girl" bed, sleeping has been a nightmare. It takes 1 hour to get her to go to sleep and then she wakes up 4-6 times during the night, which requires 15-45 minutes to get her back to sleep.

I decided I have had enough! I was headed straight to the hadware store buy a lock for her door. Well Geoff and my mom said I had to try absolutly everything before I resorted to locking her in her room. I found a book called "Healthy Sleep Habbits, Happy Child"and I decided to implement its ideas.

The first idea was to make a poster of sleep rules and have her help me make it and make sure she understood the rules.


Next idea was to do the usual bedtime routine give her a kiss and leave the room. If she got out of bed we needed to put her back to bed without talking to her. Putting her back in bed as many times as she got out of bed.

BAD IDEA! We left her in her room and she immediatly got out. At first she was sad about it then it became a fun game. She would come into our room and stand there with a big smile on her face. Back to bed. Come into our room. Smile and dance around. Back to bed. This went on for a while before Geoff and I had had enough. Time for spanking!

It was a sad, very stressful couple of hours of putting Aria to bed. This girl has a will of iron. She will not be controled. Are you wondering how many times we put her back to bed? I lost count at 150 times, yes 150 times. She finally stoped leaving her room. She would get out of her bed then open the door and lay on the floor just inside her room.

At least she relized we were not going to let her get out of her room. We let her fall asleep on the floor then transfered her to her bed.

The story does not end there. She woke up around 2:30 am and it was another test of wills. It was Geoff's night for the fight and I am sad to say that he never really got to go back to sleep.

I know my parents will be reading this laughing and thinking that I am getting what I deserve, a child with a will similar to my own.

The book recomends trying this for 4 nights. If she isn't sleeping in her bed after 4 nights, I am sorry mom and Geoff, she will be locked in her room!

Posted by Picasa

12 comments:

krista said...

Aleena-
I came across your blog and had to write and tell you that I totally feel your pain. I think that is a really hard transition for kids....hang in there. That is a really good book, I LIVE by it!
Your girls are adorable!

Heidi said...

Thank you thank you thank you for the post! I always love to hear about how great everyone's kids are, but I am so comforted to hear other peoples kids acting as crazy as my own! At least I know there are people to turn to!

We have been doing a similar thing with time-outs. I think it only took us 30 times to get him to stay in the corner before he figured out it wasn't a "game." But honestly the next time it was better. He still doesn't always stay sitting and he usually doesn't last longer than 1 minute before he says "all done?" but it's a start. But truthfully, I probably would have already bought a lock. Getting frustrated with time outs is one thing, but losing sleep is a whole new ball game.

Good luck and be sure to post the conclusion!

McGiven Family.... said...

Aleena I laughed my head off when you told me and I am laughing my head off now! In a couple of years you can laugh at me and I won't think it is very funny but for now...I love that girl! And by the way, your poster is so cute!

Mom, Mommy, Ma Ma Jo, Grandma, Grandma Jo said...

Aleena....sorry but I think that her iron will came right from her DAD! This is totally in his personality. It sounds like something I may have gone through with him. Now that the kids are raised, details of who did what are a blurr!
I love the poster!

Sharon said...

Aleena, you poor thing. I am laughing but also feeling soooo sorry for you and Geoff. By the way, was her arm broken? I don't see a little cast. How can someone so cute have such an iron will?

Becky said...

That story had me cracking up! I admire your patience with her ... I resorted to a lock right away with Holly!

Ann Marie said...

Hmmm. Do I really want kids?! That's a good story Aleena Marie! Good luck.

brittany said...

you are a good mom to try for four nights. i would have bought a lock. i don't deal well with no sleep. good luck!

Linds said...

You know me, I'm for the locked door, but either way as long as something works!! If I don't have my sleep, I'm not a nice person. I'm not really nice with sleep I guess. Oh well

Renee said...

I am hoping that it is getting better for all of you...I too am laughing. I already told you I am not one to give sleep advice. My kids are finally getting the hang of it and realizing that sleep is a good thing! Good luck and may your patience last for the next few days.

Cairen said...

Oh Aleena, I know oh stressful that time is. Here are a few things that worked for us if what your doing doesn't work. I made her bedtime 7:30 with a bedtime routine, it seems really early to a lot of people, but Sienna always falls right asleep and Meika will usually play, read books, sing, do whatever and then eventually falls asleep. I like that time because I am still wide awake and not so desperate to have her go to bed.I put a night light in there that is pretty bright and turn the light off. I also put a child proof handle on the inside of the door so she can't open it, and once she goes in I don't open the door. So I try not to pay attention to what she is doing, as long as she is still in her room. Well I really hope that you guys get some sleep soon! That can be very stressful!

Williams Fam said...

I'm am so sorry!! I wish I could lend you some Zzzzzzzzzzzzzs!!!